ICT Officer vacancy currently exists at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The UNHCR is therefore recruiting for the ICT Officer job position as advertised below.
Applications are invited from interested and equally qualified candidates for the 2018 United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees recruitment for the ICT Officer job position.
About United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Job Title: ICT Officer
Job ID: 15721
Salary Grade: P3
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
- Under the supervision of Senior ICT Officer or Senior Administrative Officer, the incumbent implements the ICT operational plan in a well defined geographical area. They provide technical supervision and guidance to locally recruited staff and ensure that ICT equipment is fully operational at all times.
- Internally, the incumbent liaises directly with own Service Delivery Team on a daily basis as well as with end users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues.
- S/he may also liaise with external service providers, as required, to resolve escalated infrastructure issues.
- UNHCR Nigeria has two ongoing emergencies operating under Level 3 and level 2.
- The Nigeria operation presently has a total 142 staff spread out in one Branch Office, two sub offices, 3 field offices in, 2 Field units.
- In term of ICT infrastructure, the operation already has UNHCR standard ICT installation in 5 offices out of 8. The remaining 3 offices need urgent ICT deployment of data, voice, and security communications services.
- As ICT support focal person for the whole operation including the two emergencies, the incumbent of this post will be the overall coordinator of ICT business in the Nigeria Operation and will work in close collaboration with the Regional ICT team for the West African Region based in Dakar, Senegal.
- He must ensure that, adequate responses to the emergencies operations are well implemented without delay.
- Other than coordinating the curative maintenance of all the ICT infrastructures, the incumbent will ensure routine functioning of the ICT systems within Nigeria Operation.
- This includes assessment of ICT needs, maintenance of all ICT equipment and all connectivity installations (VSAT, Radio communication, Servers, Wireless, and Cabling etc.).
- UNHCR Country operation has modern and costeffective ICT systems.
- UNHCR ICT equipment and data are protected.
Responsibilities of UNHCR ICT Officer
- Participate in the assessment of operational and security infrastructure needs in each UNHCR office in the area of responsibility (AOR).
- Supervise the implementation of the ICT operations plan and thereafter ensures that all equipment is in good working conditions at all times as to meet the ICT needs of the offices.
- Discuss infrastructure needs with the Head of offices in the AOR and provide input for the budget submission.
- Monitor and coordinate the work of other ICT staff as directed by the Head of Offices in accordance with the standards set by Headquarter.
- Maintain an uptodate inventory of all infrastructure equipment under AOR.
- Provide coaching, and training to ICT staff and users. Draft procedures and instructions to promote a better understanding of the use of the ICT equipment.
- Participate in the assessment of security related projects in coordination with the Field Security Advisor and assists in the formulation of recommendations for security communications.
- Promote relation with UNHCR implementing partners to enhance communication and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Liaise with the National Regulatory Authority to ensure that licenses and permissions required to operate UNHCR Networks are granted.
- Assist and advises offices in the recruiting and training of ICT staff.
- Actively participates in ICT related meetings to ensure that all decisions taken meet UNHCR’s operational and security requirements.
- Liaise directly with end users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues, delivering high standards of customer service.
- Undertake other tasks or assignments within his / her area of competence as directed by Supervisor/Head of Service.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
- Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved with scope of responsibility.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Information Systems, Telecoms or related fields plus minimum 6 years of previous job experience in the ICT support. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Knowledge of radio systems, LAN installation and support, messaging infrastructure.
- Knowledge of LAN configuration and network implementation.
- Knowledge of different satellite and terrestrial communications and network systems.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Handson experience with wireless and VOIP systems and knowledge of Windows 200/2003
- Server, Linux Server, and network monitoring software an asset.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR ICT Officer positions. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L3 – Accountability Level 3
- C002L3 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
- C003L3 – Communication Level 3
- C004L3 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
- C005L3 – Client & Result Orientation Level 3
- C006L3 – Organizational Awareness Level 3
- M001L3 – Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
- M002L3 – Managing Performance Level 3
- X001L3 – Analytical Thinking Level 3
- X003L3 – Technological Awareness Level 3
- X005L3 – Planning and Organizing Level 3.
- Ability to manage a team and coordinate with other Field Offices;
- Onjob coaching and mentoring of national staff and IUNVs.
- Solid knowledge of UNHCR software and infrastructure mangement
- Training on VSAT systems
- Deep field and hardship areas experience.
- Ability to come up with innovative and creative solutions to operational challenges.
- Working knowledge of other UN languages (French).
- Motivated, hardworking and wellorganized.
- Has good work experience in hardship and isolated duty stations.
- Knowledge of French will be an asset as all the neighbouring countries affected by the emergency are French speaking
- Willing to undertake monitoring and support missions to the deep field
- General knowledge of the region.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 of 15 August 2017.
Working and Living Conditions:
- UNHCR Nigeria consists of a Representation at the Branch Office in the Federal Capital City, Abuja; two SubOffices in Maiduguri and in Calabar; 3 Field Offices Yola, Ikom and Adikpo and 2 Field Units in Lagos and in Damaturu.
- While most of the cities in Nigeria are densely populated, access to accommodation is relatively easier in Abuja with less security restrictions. In the NE, Cross River and Benue, for security reasons and due to limited availability, the office has rented guest house for staff accommodation.
- Most food products, both fresh and processed are readily available in most urban centers. But In Maiduguri due to the prolonged inaccessibility by road, scarcity of food products is experienced.
- Abuja, the federal capital of Nigeria is located in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) where the general security situation is influenced mainly by incidents of criminality especially in the suburbs. However, terrorist attacks attributed to the Boko Haram sect has occurred in the past years in the FCT and FCT remains a target.
- Security concerns in Abuja are considered to be security level 3 (moderate) and great attention should be paid by staff and dependents to personal security awareness and adherence to security advisories. Staff stationed in Abuja should have their residences cleared by UN Security before habitation. Intercity travel or night travel outside the FCT is generally not recommended and Police escorts are required for the movement from and to the Abuja airport between 2100 hours to 0530 hours.
- All new UN staff and visitors are required to attend the mandatory security briefing that takes place on Mondays and Thursdays at the UN House from 1500 hours to 1600 hours. UN identity card is issued only after staff member has attended the mandatory security briefing and completed the new BSITF (BSITF II) training program and the ASITF program. Staff from Abuja who intend to travel to the North East are mandated to attend the training in Security Awareness for the North East before travelling there. There are some areas of the country that require additional security briefing due to the volatile and fluid security conditions in those areas. Majority of the States in the Northeast are currently at security level 45.
How To Apply For The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) ICT Officer Vacancy
Method of Application: Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply.
Application Closing Date
The closing date for submission of application for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) ICT Officer recruitment is 5th September, 2018.